External issue trackers
DETAILS: Tier: Free, Premium, Ultimate Offering: SaaS, self-managed
GitLab has its own issue tracker, but you can also configure an external issue tracker per GitLab project. You can then use:
- The external issue tracker with the GitLab issue tracker
- The external issue tracker only
With an external tracker, you can use the format
CODE-123 to mention
external issues in GitLab merge requests, commits, and comments where:
CODEis a unique code for the tracker.
123is the issue number in the tracker.
References are displayed as issue links.
Disable the GitLab issue tracker
To disable the GitLab issue tracker for a project:
- On the left sidebar, select Search or go to and find your project.
- Select Settings > General.
- Expand Visibility, project features, permissions.
- Under Issues, turn off the toggle.
- Select Save changes.
After you disable the GitLab issue tracker, Issues is not visible on the left sidebar of your project.
Configure an external issue tracker
You can configure any of the following external issue trackers: